Let’s just get real here for a minute. How many of us actually eat a good breakfast on a weekday? Now if you do eat breakfast, ask yourself the following: “What time do I wakeup?” “What time do I have to be at work?”…If your answer was something like 9, then I’m bitter and this post might not be for you! …But, not really because I love everyone who reads this and this post really is for you too! I’m just bitter at those who get to sleep in a little is all. Forgive me, friend.
I teach at a school that starts at 7 which means I wake up at 4:45 everyday. Ew. Because of this sad, sad fact, I am absolutely not willing to actually make myself a solid breakfast in the morning. In fact, I’m not even willing to pour myself some cereal and eat it for a calm few seconds. My morning consists of me sprinting around because I slept in as long as I possibly could… naturally, leaving no time for breakfast. However, once I actually get to school, I immediately regret it and think, “Now, how am I actually going to make it to lunchtime?” This is the constant morning time battle happening in my brain.
This year, I have tried to come up with a better solution. I’ve been trying to bake breakfast-y things on Sundays to try to last me throughout the school week. In other words, the grab-n-go breakfast. This is one of those that was a winner. This makes a lot which means you can conveniently freeze about half of them and cover about two weeks worth of breakfasts…given you don’t get sick of eating the same things every morning!
In case you haven’t already scrolled down to see the ingredients, these do NOT contain flour and are not actually muffins. Hence, the quotey marks. It’s pretty much baked oatmeal in cute muffin size portions. Super easy and super filling. Since apple cinnamon has always been my favorite oatmeal, I added that to mine. However, don’t let my recipe limit you! You can add nuts, berries, raisins, peaches, pears, chocolate, banana… really whatever. It will all be good.
Nutty Apple Cinnamon Oatmeal “Muffins”
Adapted from sugarfreemom.com
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups applesauce, unsweetened
- 1 banana, mashed
- 1/2 cup honey
- 5 cups, Old Fashioned rolled oats (I used a blend of oats, rye, barley, and wheat…but you can just use oats or whatever you have on hand)
- 1/4 cup flaxseed meal
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 2 tsp pumpkin spice blend
- 3 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 3/4 cups milk
- 1/2 cup walnuts
- 1 apple, chopped
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Mix eggs, vanilla, applesauce, banana and honey in a bowl.
3. Add in oats, flax, cinnamon, pumpkin spice blend, baking powder, and salt.
4. Add milk milk, walnuts, and apples. Stir to combine.
5. Grease your muffin tin or line the tin with muffin liners. I recommend using liners for this as it’s easier for taking these for an on-the-go breakfast.
6. Pour mixture evenly into muffin tin cups.
7. Bake 30 minutes until a toothpick poked through the center comes out clean and dry. Cool and store in freezer bags for future use.
8. When you are ready to grab one in the morning, just pop it in the microwave for a minute or so!