Rich and creamy. Comfort food on a rainy fall day…and the perfect side for
Broccoli and Cheddar Mashed Potatoes with Buttermilk
small head of broccoli florets (about 4 cups)
2 lbs or so of Yukon Gold and red potatoes (you can do a combination of both or just pick one!)
1/2 cup greek yogurt
3/4 cup buttermilk
2 tbsp butter
salt and pepper, to taste
1. Preheat your oven to 400. Toss the broccoli florets with a good dose of olive oil and some salt and pepper. Roast the broccoli until it is still bright green, fork tender and charring just a teensy bit along the edges. (You could always steam them too, but steamed vegetables generally weird me out. Your choice.)
2. Chop up your potatoes (leave the skins on!) and throw them in a big pot. Cover them with cold water and season the water with salt until it tastes like pleasant salt water. Bring it to a boil and cook until potatoes are fork tender. Drain the water out of the potatoes.
3. Throw your potatoes and all your dairy goodies in the bowl of your mixer and mix away til it’s nice and creamy, just the way you like it. Now, I kind of did the add and taste dance for this, so my measurements are very rough guesses. Let your taste buds be your guide! Just add the amount that sits well with you.
4. When your potatoes are perfect and you’ve had your share of sneaky spoonfuls, start chopping up the broccoli. I chopped mine pretty small so it wouldn’t take away from the perfect creaminess of my potatoes.
5. Add the broccoli to the potatoes and whip the living day lights out of it. Really whip it good until it is creamy and almost silky.
6. When it’s perfect to you, it’s ready. Feel free to add any other mix in such as bacon, chives, mooooore cheese, a hit of garlic powder…whatever floats your boat.