Here’s a lazy yet healthy mid-week meal for ya!
Turkey Taco Salad with Avocado Cream
- 1 head of romaine lettuce, chopped
- 3 small tomatoes, chopped
- Shredded cheese (for topping)
- 2 avocados
- salt, to taste
- 1 cup cilantro, roughly chopped
- juice of 1 lime
- 1 cup Greek yogurt
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 green pepper, chopped
- 1 zucchini, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 lb ground turkey
- salt and pepper
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 16 oz. container salsa
- 1 can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 cup frozen corn, thawed
1. Shred the cheese and chop the lettuce and tomatoes. Set aside.
2. Place the avocados, salt, cilantro, lime juice and Greek yogurt in the bottom of a food processor. Pulse until smooth. You may want to adjust the lime juice and salt to taste. Set aside.
3. Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. When ready, add the onion and green pepper. Cook about 2 minutes. Add the zucchini. Continue cooking until they’re barely beginning to soften. Add the garlic and cook for one more minute.
4. Add the ground turkey and break it down with the side of a wooden spoon. Throw in a bit of salt and pepper, to taste, along with the cumin. Cook until the center of the turkey pieces are no longer pink. Pour out any of the extra juice.
5. Add the whole jar of salsa. Cook for just a minute or so and then add the beans and corn. Cook until heated through.
6. To assemble the salad, place some lettuce in the bottom of a bowl. Add the meat and veggie mixture. Top with the cheese and avocado cream.